Monday, August 9, 2010

NH Lakes and Mountains

Last week's road trip took me to New Hampshire's Lakes and White Mountains. I stayed in Ashland, which is a very convenient location to explore from. The first day I drove up to the Kancamagus Highway, through Bear Notch, over Crawford Notch, to Jefferson, and back to Ashland. Day two was lakes day - sunrise in Meredith, then on to Holderness, Chocorua, Ossipee, Eaton, and Conway before going home to Boston.

These are two of my favorite routes year-round, and I'll probably repeat them in autumn. But the lakes are a special place in summer, so I try to visit every year.

The first picture here is a mill in Ashland. It's right on Route 3, just north of town. It would be better with a kayak, so that piece of sky wouldn't be pulling your eye away from the mill. This is a spectacular scene in autumn and winter. A red mill - how could it not be a winner?

Next come several pictures from the lakes - Winnipesaukee, Squam, Chocorua, Crystal. Marinas, villages, reflections, maple-covered hillsides. Lots to play with here. There are also a couple of shots from Jefferson, which is becoming one of my favorite places. There's a meadow there... Lupines in spring, and I think I missed fireweed in July! Can't wait to see what October brings.










1) Eaton NH 2) Sunrise at a Meredith marina 3) Meredith-Church Landing
4) Meredith Town Pier 5) Mt Chocorua 6) Holderness, hazy sunset
7) Jefferson meadows 8) Holderness marina 9) Jefferson meadows

No comments:

Post a Comment