Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Revere Beach Bandstand


Boston is having a heat wave, and I'm planning to stay in and catch up with some of the things-to-do list. But before sequestering myself, I thought I'd run out before sunrise and get some images of Revere Beach.

I've been thinking of this project for some time - the beach is 15 minutes from my house, easily accessible, and has some interesting architecture and spectacular views of the sunrise.

Actually, there are several beaches near Boston which are maintained by the MA Department of Conservation. They were tourist magnets at the turn of the 20th century, fell into disrepair and disuse at the time that Boston Harbor became so polluted, and are enjoying come-backs now. It would make an interesting magazine article.

Even if the photo essay doesn't get published, I will enjoy shooting it, and that's always a good thing. So here's the shot list:
  • Revere Beach, with its Victorian bandstand & shelters
  • Carson Beach or Castle Island, in Boston's core
  • Nantasket Beach and Paragon Park
  • Lynn, with its restored bath houses or Nahant, on a narrow spit in the ocean
  • Lovells Island, in Boston Harbor. If too ratty, Winthrop
The challenge will be making all the beaches look different. Emphasizing the unique features of each, not only geographical and visual, but capturing a sense of place, of community. So I can't just buzz over to each beach at sunrise.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you can do it Sue. Your eye for photography is a good one.

    I had no idea they even had a bandstand in Revere! The same town where my stolen car was found ; )

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, the car insurance rates around here are lethal! They must have a whole underground industry to process stolen cars and parts. Who knew they go out of state, too?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,

    Great Photos. I am The Executive Director of the Revere Beach Partnership our web site is reverebeachpartnership.com . We are in the planning stages of an art on the beach program for September and would love to include some of your work. Please contact me ernie@rverebeachpartnership.com

    ReplyDelete