Sunday, July 25, 2010

A quick trip to Nantucket


I opened my email Wednesday night and found a customer request for pictures of Nantucket. I have Nantucket, but the pictures are old film scans, and I know I can do better. Seems I never get over there - everything on the island is so expensive that I just can't break even going for a few days and shooting for stock.

This is a good customer, and I do pretty well with them. I want to be a dependable source of images. So I set a challenge for myself - could I do it in a day trip? I made a reservation for the ferry, packed my breakfast, and set the alarm. Thursday sunrise found me on Cape Cod with time to spare. I napped on the ferry and arrived on Nantucket at 9:00, ready to go.

- -

Nantucket Town has tourist facilities, shopping, museums, historic houses and cobblestoned streets. There are B&Bs, restaurants, bike shops, clothing stores, art galleries and ice cream shops, all quaint as can be. And not a chain store in sight.
- - -

I can't walk like I used to, so I broke up the walking part of the trip by taking the shuttle bus to the extreme ends of the island - Madaket in the morning and Sconset after lunch. Both destinations have gorgeous beaches, and Sconset is a little village with wonderful pocket gardens and adorable grey-shingled cottages.
The island is laced with bike paths which add to the serene atmosphere.


By 6:00 pm, I had run out of steam, so I took the early ferry, had a quick (and cheap) burger, and drove home to feed the kitties. It took a couple of days to edit the photos, and a couple of days to rest the photographer, but now I'm ready to go again. A good selection of images is waiting for the customer and I have the satisfaction of knowing I did a good day's work. And Nantucket is such a beautiful place, it's always a pleasure to visit.

1 comment:

  1. Wow What else can anyone say, your the best !

    ReplyDelete