Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Kerry House - tone-mapped




This is the Beacon Hill home of Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts. It is a beautiful building in a beautiful neighborhood. Yet, I have passed it by at least a dozen times. Its formal majesty is not inviting to me. The street is narrow, so if I use a wide-angle lens the sides of the building lean in to the middle, and I've just never connected with it. Yesterday as I passed, I decided to try again. Even though it was a sunny day, the light was even. There were lights at the door and reflections in the windows. The mid-summer foliage was lovely against the red of the brick. Might as well give it a try.

Of course, Photoshop can straighten out those leaning buildings. And Lightroom can light up the shadows a bit and crop an unfortunate bit of curb. At what point do you stop diddling with an image? I couldn't resist. I made a couple of copies and brought them into HDR-Pro. I had already saturated the image, so it didn't take much diddling. It just popped. I could get used to this really fast.



I didn't want it to be too garish, but I really like the color and the detail that HDR picks up. Of course, this isn't real HDR. You need three separate exposures for that, not one image used three times. Nevertheless, I could spend a lot of time playing with this stuff. And publish it under another name!

No comments:

Post a Comment